war of the worlds review...
Things I Think I Think About War of the Worlds (SPOILERS)
1. The movie's FREAKIN' AMAZING GOOD. Let's get that out of the way first thing. It sets a new bar for alien movies. I want to see it again. I want the DVD. I want a Universal themepark ride. And I want an alien tripod of my very own (to, you know, go to my 10th year high school reunion with or something).
2. Can we knight Morgan Freeman for narration? Do you think he'd read my grocery list to me over the phone if I kidnapped someone he loved?
3. Even though Dakota Fanning spent 95% of the movie in tears or screaming, I never once thought she needed a good slap to the face. That's at least half a thumb in itself. And I was the one who swore I'd never watch another movie with her after Hide and Seek.
4. Alien Tripods Vs. Predator. Now that's a movie I'd get excited. Or better yet: Harold and Kumar Go To Alien Tripodtown. Oooooooo...genius.
5. I dare say that this is Tom Cruise's best performance since Jerry Maguire. I think that he actually believed aliens were after him. Which might explain his unusually happy behavior lately. You re-evaluate your life after you survive blood-thirsty alien tripods.
6. Bad Idea Jeans = Getting on a ferry when aliens are chasing you. Why? Ferries do not have basements.
7. Bad Idea Jeans #2 = Any man who drinks Peach Schnapps can NEVER be trusted. When the character in the movie suggested it to Tom Cruise, I let out the big audible, "Dude...no."
8. Mental note: Aliens tolerate Boston.
9. Did anyone else get the feeling that the mom didn't seem really surprised or happy enough to see them at the end, considering the circumstances?? I mean, if I save the kids against all odds from eternal damnation, I'd at least expect a handshake. Or a pregnant chest bump. Something.
10. Go See the Movie.